About the Authors
- Rik L de Swart, Geert van Amerongen, Selma Yüksel, Albert D. M. E Osterhaus
- Department of Virology, Erasmus MC, University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Martin Ludlow, Stephen McQuaid, W. Paul Duprex
- School of Biomedical Sciences, Queen's University of Belfast, United Kingdom
- Lot de Witte, Teunis B. H Geijtenbeek
- Department of Molecular Cell Biology and Immunology, VU University Medical Center, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Yusuke Yanagi
- Department of Virology, Kyushu University, Fukuoka, Japan
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
ML and LdW contributed equally to this study. RLdS, TBHG, WPD, and ADMEO designed and planned the study. RLdS coordinated the study and wrote the manuscript, to which all authors provided feedback. All authors approved the final version of the manuscript. RLdS and GvA undertook the infection experiments and obtained study samples and macroscopic images. YY provided the plasmid from which the recombinant virus was rescued. RLdS and SY performed the virological and serological experiments and the FACS assays. RLdS prepared Figures 1–4, Tables S1–S3, and Figures S1 and S2. LdW performed virus detection assays in samples from skin and mouth and prepared Figures 5 and S3. ML and SM performed virus detection assays in other organs and prepared Figures 6 and S4.