About the Authors
- Michael Walther, David Jeffries, Olivia C. Finney, Madi Njie, Augustine Ebonyi, Susanne Deininger, Emma Lawrence, Alfred Ngwa-Amambua, Shamanthi Jayasooriya, Ian H. Cheeseman, Natalia Gomez-Escobar, Joseph Okebe, David J. Conway
- Medical Research Council Laboratories, Fajara, Banjul, The Gambia
- Olivia C. Finney, Ian H. Cheeseman, David J. Conway, Eleanor M. Riley
- Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, United Kingdom
- Susanne Deininger
- Institute of Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Parasitology, University Clinic Bonn, Bonn, Germany
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
Conceived and designed the experiments: MW SD EMR. Performed the experiments: MW OCF MN EJL ANA SJ IHC NGE. Analyzed the data: MW DJJ. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: MW NGE DJC EMR. Wrote the paper: MW EMR. Responsible for the statistical model applied to the data: DJJ. Contributed to FACS work: OCF. Contributed substantially to various aspects of the lab work: MN. Responsible for the recruitment of the study patients: AE. Designed the RT-PCR experiments: SD. Did most of the ELISPOTs: EJL. Performed the sequencing of the parasites: ANA. Contributed to flow cytometry and ELISPOT experiments: SJ. Contributed to parasite sequencing and prepared malaria antigens: IHC. Provided expertise on designing the RT-PCR assays and helped with parasite sequencing: NGE. Recruited patients into the study and responsible for the conduct according to GCP guidelines: JO. Provided expertise in the design and analysis: DJC. Contributed to the overall design and concept of the study as well as to the analysis and write up: EMR.