About the Authors
- Alex T. Nielsen, Nadia A. Dolganov, Michael C. Miller, Gary K. Schoolnik
- Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States of America
- Thomas Rasmussen
- Technical University of Denmark, Department of Systems Biology, Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark
- Glen Otto, Stephen A. Felt, Stéphanie Torreilles
- Department of Comparative Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, United States of America
The authors have declared that no competing interests exist.
Conceived and designed the experiments: ATN NAD GKS. Performed the experiments: ATN NAD TR GO SAF ST. Analyzed the data: ATN NAD. Contributed reagents/materials/analysis tools: ATN NAD MCM. Wrote the paper: ATN GKS. Involved in performing all rabbit experiments and transcriptional analysis, and the first to identify the localized and significant expression of virulence genes in the mucus during infection: NAD.